Monday, April 27, 2009

Funerals

Yes, the topic says it all, funerals.
 
So today my sister's friend's grandfather just passed and for security and safety purposes, my sister had me to go with her to pay them a visit. Dashed upstairs, get a change in clothes, a black shirt particularly and left. All along i've never actually entered one, perhaps at some occasion i really did but nothing i remember fondly. My sis knew more or less their entire extended family, since she had been in their houses with her friend all along since primary school years.
 
First to meet was her grandmother, soulmate to her grandfather which just passed away. I've got to say just looking at how she shed her tears, tells a thousand stories about her misery and sorrow. Funerals are not a norm, really, although some people may think otherwise which i strongly disagree, just saying this because i cant shake the feeling that many still take it too easily. Well as we meet all the relatives and so on, my sis's friend came along after she was done with the rituals, and brought us in to see her grandfather resting in peace.
 
Looking at her grandfather, really left me at a loss of words. Never have i stand right before of someone, although barely knowing him ( in the past years i used to have tuition in the exact same house, when her grandfather was still around ) and now watching him laying down there. I felt like as if time has frozen and he was just there, petrified and he will resume right away when clock continues its ticking. Obviously that is not the case there.
 
Dont know why, it always struck me hard, to think that someone you've been knowing could not just stand on his feet again to talk to you again. The ending of life is like a series of questioning, without a fullstop and without an end. Seems to me that no matter how hard someone sleeps, he can always be waken up and he will, one way or another. Call me a science person with all the western pragmatism, but i will always believe in souls. Inside every vessel, there sits a soul pilot by the perfectly engineered and structured genes. Without that, there wouldnt be a "me", and without that, people would not have things such as "will power".
 
In front of her grandfather's ritual, i still gave him a bow as a respect, and i would really... i dont know what you call that, sticks? burning sticks? yeah that. I would really light up one of those and pay respect to him if given the chance. Screw what others say, if one religion forbids me to even do such a thing as an act of respect, that is NOT MY religion, and i'm pretty sure God will understand what i did. So...yeah. God bless him and may him rest in peace.
 
- In memorial of Wei Wen's grandfather

No comments:

Post a Comment